Thursday, November 6, 2008

Election Day Recap

On Tuesday we had our mini-election day party. There were 4 of us [me, G, Rob, and Chris] +Andy. It was crazy and hectic. Being on the West Coast meant many states were already being called by the time I got off work.

But first things first, after dropping Andy off at my mom's I headed up the street to vote. I waited almost an hour, but it went by fast. Took me all 2 minutes to vote since I had my sample ballot filled out. I then decided I was already pretty late to work so I stopped at Starbucks for my free tall coffee and some tea since I was getting sick.

At lunch I went to my mom's so that she, my brother, and sister could go vote and I would watch the kids. They only waited 5 minutes! Before heading back to work I went down to the democratic headquarters [which was crazy busy] to buy more t-shirts. They were all sold out. But I was able to get Andy I tee to match my own. Later G told me that since the official one's were sold out he would get a bootleg one from some guy at the gas station. Here's our official Election Day family portrait!


Isn't Andy cute! This kid is all smiles these days.

I was so tired by this point. After work I rushed to the grocery store to buy supplies for our party...last minute, I know. I then rushed home to get dinner started. The menu wasn't patriotic, but the main dish is worth mentioning. I made sausage meatloaf cupcakes with creamy potato frosting. They were so good! My brother really wanted me to try this recipe after seeing it in my Rachel Ray Everyday Magazine [October 2008]. They were super easy to make and were enjoyed by all.

So the plan was to take weak jello shots every time a state was called - a red shot for the red states and blue for the blue states, but that didn't happen. First, we were all too tired and it was a work night. Second, G made the strongest jello shots ever! Great for a real party, but not for our purpose of taking many in a few hours. I also never got around to making my drink of the night - I Can See White Russians From My House. I bought all the supplies but was too tired and my throat was really hurting by the end of the night. I felt too sick to drink.

All in all we had a good time flipping between CNN, NBC and ABC news. I got chills and a little teary when CNN called it for Obama. I just knew he had to win. I had an overwhelming feeling of confidence in Obama a week ago. That's when I knew he was meant to be President. Call me crazy...but I told G and my sister. They are my witnesses.

So here we are. A new time, a new beginning for our great country. Soon, Barack Obama will take office. The man that was able to inspire hope in billions of people throughout the world.

Yes We Can

3 Comments:

diana said...

Long comment ahead:

I love Gerardo's bootleg shirt! LOL!

That is a GREAT family pic. Frame it.

I, too, got all misty when it was called for Obama. Yay!

I just finished reading Twilight and I'm hooked! Am ordering New Moon from bn.com as we speak...

We were at Paseo today and Lara was crying, trying to open the door to Pacific Theatres: "Gaby & Andy at movies!".

We miss you guys!

geefunk said...

Don't tell me how much Lara misses us!! You're gonna make me quit my job. Must get Mondays off! Even if just half day.

And I totally fell off the reading wagon...must continue New Moon. I'm 4 chapters in.

Anonymous said...

gee, printed the sausage cupcake recipe, gotts to bake them! they sound sooooo yummy!

also, since i can not post on your baby blog, i'll post here. your last post on andy and his high chair: totally looks like natalie!!!! that little guy is a big guy now.