Friday, June 22, 2007

Betty "geefunk" Crocker

That's me! So this was my first real attempted at baking from scratch [usually I limit myself to things that come in box with 3 instructions]. Now that I think about it I did make banana bread once....in college....that was pretty good. Regardless - THIS was my first time attempting cupcakes. And not just any cupcakes...but vegan cupcakes....and not just any vegan cupcakes....but Cookies & Cream Cupcakes with butter cream cookies & cream frosting AND Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes with peanut butter butter cream frosting. Yes, ladies an gents - this was a big deal. After all, it's my sisters birthday! I can't just make and old cupcakes from a box! That's crazy talk.

To begin with, I practically had to buy EVERYTHING necessary. From the mixer, cupcake pan, cooling rack, and mixing bowl - to almost every ingredient [ I did have flour and sugar ;o)]. Since I can't afford myself one of those fancy shmancy mixers - i settle for a top of the line hand mixer [at least it's top of the line to me]. I bought the KitchenAid 7-speed digital hand mixer in Breast Cancer pink. I wanted the red one, but BB&B only had white and pink. So of course, I must support breast cancer [mom is a proud survivor & $7 dollars is donated with the purchase].

My cooking adventure began at about 8pm. I quickly realized it was going to be a long night. I was fortunate enough to have the helping hand of [no not my hubby - but he did wash some dishes] my friend Claudia & her sister Stephanie. Even if they don't think they did much, it was a HUGE help having them there, even if just for moral support. After 3 batches of cupcakes - Claudia & Stephanie took off around 11pm. I carried on until 1am. I must say, I was very proud of myself. I managed not to fuck this up! The hubby and I sampled my work and we both agreed they were edible and could be offered to the public. I just hope my hubby wasn't lying to me and everyone does enjoy them tonight. Here are some pix of the unfinished cupcakes. I have one more batch of the chocolate peanut butter (the lighter ones) to make and then I'll be icing them all after work.






You can see lumps in the cookies & cream cupcakes - that would be from the broken up TJ's Joe-Joe's. I think these cookies are delish, but a bit too much filling for my tastes [kind of like double stuffed oreo's]. But it beats oreo's in the fact that they aren't full of artificial crap! My sister's fav cookies are oreo's - hence, the cookies & cream idea. I opted for a slightly healthier option thanks to the vegan recipe.


As for the recipes. I must credit Bake & Destroy. It is not her recipes, but it is her posting of the recipes on her blog with pictures and a full reviews that made me want to give them a try. And boy am I happy I did. The recipes are originally from from Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero’s Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World.

***Stay tuned for pictures of the completed work - with frosting and toppings!

2 Comments:

Natalie said...

They look great! I'm not vegan, but I use that book ALL the time. I feel like I almost always have all the ingredients on hand.

ta2urnfs said...

Looks really yummy.
Have a great day.