Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Inferno

OMG! I can't believe I failed to mention the horrible incident that happened to me at Ichima on Sunday night!


***Disclaimer - this has nothing to do with the services or goods provided by Ichima. This is dumb human luck that happened to occur at a restaurant.

There we were....happily enjoying our sashimi and rolls. G had decided to get a chicken teriyaki plate this time because he was "really hungry" and wanted to fill up [still waiting for the day G orders something other than a mexican roll or eel roll]. I helped myself to the salad that came with G's plate. There I was happily enjoying my meal when suddenly I feel a sharp burning sensation in my mouth that quickly transfers to my entire face! I had just put another piece of lettuce in my mouth [didn't even chew it] and was confused my the pain I was enduring. Could it be the ginger dressing? - I quickly thought...too much on one piece of lettuce, maybe? No....I cautiously tried to bite down on the lettuce when I immediately felt that chalky, grainy texture that is....don don DON!!! WASABI! Holy mother of all things green! My face turned bright red and my eyes teared up [I even managed to have flashback of the "Jackass" wasabi snorting episode]. I made a conscious effort not to inhale as I could feel the burn traveling up my nose. I quickly spit everything out as best I could [mind you this all happened in about 5 seconds time and everyone at our table was looking at me in utter amusement not knowing what the hell was going on]. I had manage to get some wasasbi on my face as i spit it out on to my napkin, which quickly began to burn the skin on my face [i thought my face would be scarred - thats how bad it burned]. As I sucked down the water at our table in all 2 seconds to cool the inferno that was my mouth, I was finally able to speak and clue everyone in on the reason for my freak show. The the little wasabi fucker [although nothing is little in wasabi land] was hiding under a piece of lettuce. I had managed to pick up the lettuce with the wasabi camouflaged underneath.

This has been one of the single worst restaurant experiences in my life. Not Ichima's fault by any means of course, but just an overall downer [even beats out the time I threw up at a taco joint in Ensenada after seeing my friend [way beyond drunk] throw up on her plate - i mean.....what happens in Mexico stays in Mexico ;o)]. How ever I could not stop laughing after the fire was out. It was pretty funny...and I always am the first to laugh at myself. And let me say I do eat some wasabi. I do put the occasional miniature nugget in my soy sauce for flavor....but never like this. And for those of you out there that have ever followed through with a dare to eat a "chile de arbol" [myself included]....this is nothing like that. Comletely different burn. I couldn't even explain the pain. The wasabi completely overtook all of my senses. That picture on the right - that is exactly the size of the little green monster. Not so good times....


Here are some items I won't be investing in anytime in the future:



1 Comment:

geefunk said...

OMG THAT IS JUST WRONG!!!!